Saturday 10 March 2012

The search for truth

When we pray sometimes, we expect answers sent to us in a certain way, we pray with a fixed  mindset but it hardly works that way. Sometimes God comes through for us and in ways we don’t expect, it could be better than we thought or it could be painful, really painful. At other times, He may simply be saying not yet or this isn’t for you. But in all, God knows us and wants good for us so He won’t grant us evil to destroy us. We asked anyway, so He answers.
There are times I feel like God is so far away from me, but a friend of mine’s status message read a few days ago if God is far, who moved? He is the same, He hasn’t and will not change but we always do.
Now, do I sound like I am preaching? *Laughing to myself *
 
'Religion' is a sensitive issue and is generally not advised to be discussed in order not to stir up trouble, I am treading carefully and do not intend to offend anyone who reads this. If you have any misgivings about what I have written, please feel free to leave a comment.
 
The search for truth and a connection to spirituality leads people to believe in different things. Many of us are born and raised to know a certain belief, but as we grow older, we go on a quest to know more of what we want to believe in or not to believe in anything at all.
 
I am not sure if I want to be bothered with ‘religion’ as it is practiced today. I love God, I seek Him and His word is what guides me, and that for me is the essence of whatever/whoever anyone believes in.
From my observation, there is so much dogma with what people believe in and that has infiltrated the truth of what should be.
 
In Christianity, there are different sects/factions (what would be the most appropriate word): Methodists, Protestants, Catholics, Pentecostals, Anglicans, Baptists, Jehovah witnesses and more. 
Sometimes, when people ask, are you a Christian and I say yes, the next question will be what exactly? Pentecostal, Catholic e.t.c? Why should that matter anyway? As I like to say, I am christian and that's it. The word Christian came about from people who acted like Jesus Christ so they were called Christians - Christ like. I would say the goal of being a Christian should be being like Jesus Christ.

We have created so many divisions in Christianity that I wonder sometimes if at a time when we all need to unite for whatever reason, we will be able to come together as one putting all the supposed sects/factions aside to achieve the goal that needs to be achieved.
 

3 comments:

  1. word! i enjoyed this post and your friend's post ministered to me, we really are the one's who drift away. God is always the same , yday, today, forever! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said.Just as pointed out, religion is a sensitive topic so one has to be careful.But a question dat still needs to be answered, is Christ like christianity still in existence cos from what i see today, it is questionable?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uduak, glad you like it.
    Sacrod, that I guess should be what we should try to sort out individually. If every individual should at least makes efforts, I doubt if we'll practice Christianity as a body as we do.

    ReplyDelete